CLT, White Oak & Scanning
2019 Summer Conference
The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, WV – July 27-30
Appalachian Hardwood Manufacturers, Inc. will hold its 2019 Summer Conference at The Greenbrier located in White Sulphur Springs amid the breathtaking mountains of West Virginia. Known as “America’s Resort,” The Greenbrier is synonymous with world-class, authentic, southern hospitality.
A new log grading program and advancements in scanning technology will improve the way Appalachian Hardwood logs and lumber are processed in 2019. These are two of the topics that will be discussed at the Annual Summer Conference.
The Monday presentations will include:
- Appalachian Poplar CLT Structure – an observatory in Radford, VA and designed by Virginia Tech’s School of Architecture. Two professors will explain the project, the decision to use Poplar and the great potential for the future. It is the first U.S. structure made exclusively of Appalachian Poplar. AHMI members are invited to tour the building on July 30.
- Scanning for Lumber Grade, Improved Yield – Technology has increased dramatically to scan hardwood lumber for grade AND improve yield. Two presentations from Eagle Machinery and JoeScan will discuss new equipment that saves labor and improves yield with impressive results.
- Initiative Wants To Grow White Oak – A coalition has been formed to increase White Oak growth across the U.S. The plan would focus on Appalachian forests, landowners and manufacturers to improve management and harvesting practices for this valuable hardwood resource.
INVITED – West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice and owner of The Greenbrier Resort has been invited to speak to our group on Business in West Virginia.
Two breakout sessions for Tuesday to gain more value:
- AHMI 401k Enrollment Information – Representatives from UBS Financial will be on site to answer questions and enroll AHMI members in this multiple-employer program that offers retirement accounts for employees. The program began in March and dramatically cuts costs while offering a wide variety of investments.
- Log Grading Rules Implementation – AHMI and the Appalachian Hardwood Center have developed Guidelines for Scaling and Grading Hardwood Logs. AHC’s Curt Hassler will explain.
There will be ample time for networking with members and guests at receptions and between sessions. We will also have the Summer Golf and Sporting Clays tournaments.
AHMI Ladies are invited to breakfast on Monday then join the Greenbrier Interior History Tour.
Follow this link to reserve your room or call The Greenbrier at 877-493-2941 using the Group Code 190727APPA. Rooms must be booked by June 27.
Summer Conference Agenda
Saturday, July 27
6 pm – Early Bird Reception on Golf Club Patio
Dinner on your own
Sunday, July 28
2-4 pm – AHMI Board of Trustees Meeting in McKinley Room
3-5 pm – Meeting Registration in Lower Lobby
6-7 pm – Welcome Reception in Cameo Ballroom
Dinner on your own
Monday, July 29
8:30 am – General Session in the Chesapeake Room
– Scanning For Lumber Grade
– White Oak Initiative Strategy
– Hardwood CLT Tower In VA
INVITED – West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice
|9 am – Ladies Breakfast in Main Dining Room
10:30 am – Ladies Tour – participate in Greenbrier Interior History Tour
12:15 pm – Golf Tournament at The Meadows Course
12:15 pm – Sporting Clays Tournament at The Gun Club
6-7 pm – Monday Reception in Prime 44 Patio
Dinner on your own
Tuesday, July 30
9 am – Breakout on AHMI 401k MEP Program
9 am – Breakout on Log Grading Rules
1 pm – Tour Hardwood CLT Observatory Tower in Radford, VA
(drive on your own)
2020 Annual Meeting
Naples Grande Beach Resort – Naples, FL – February 19-23
Appalachian Hardwood Manufacturers, Inc. will hold its 2020 Annual Meeting at the Naples Grande Beach Resort, a luxury beachfront hotel set on 23-acres of beautiful waterfront property. Enjoy fine dining, golf, tennis courts, plus a world-class spa, 3 outdoor pools, and a private beach.
Make your room reservations HERE.
Meeting registration will open soon.