CLT, White Oak & Scanning
2019 Summer Conference
The Greenbrier, White Sulphur Springs, WV – July 27-30
Appalachian Hardwood Manufacturers, Inc. will hold its 2019 Summer Conference at The Greenbrier located in White Sulphur Springs amid the breathtaking mountains of West Virginia. Known as “America’s Resort,” The Greenbrier is synonymous with world-class, authentic, southern hospitality.
A new log grading program and advancements in scanning technology will improve the way Appalachian Hardwood logs and lumber are processed in 2019. These are two of the topics that will be discussed at the Annual Summer Conference.
The business program will include:
- Scanning for Lumber Grade – Technology has increased dramatically to scan hardwood lumber for grade. Two presentations planned on new equipment that can save time and labor with impressive results.
- Log Grading Rules Implementation – AHMI and the Appalachian Hardwood Center have developed Guidelines for Scaling and Grading Hardwood Logs. AHC’s Crut Hassler will explain these guidelines and yield improvements.
- White Oak Initiative – A coalition has been formed to increase white oak growth across the U.S. The plan would focus on Appalachian forests, landowners and manufacturers to improve management and harvesting practices for this valuable hardwood resource.
- Appalachian Poplar CLT Building – Virginia Tech’s School of Architecture is constructing the first Appalachian Poplar Cross Laminated Timber structure in the U.S. It is in Radford, VA, and VT Professor Kay Edge will explain the project and benefits of Yellow Poplar. (Meeting attendees are invited to a tour on Tuesday, July 30.)
INVITED – West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice and owner of The Greenbrier Resort has been invited to speak to our group on Business in West Virginia.
There will be ample time for networking with members and guests at receptions and between sessions. We will also have the Summer Golf and Sporting Clays tournaments.
Follow this link to reserve your room or call The Greenbrier at 877-493-2941 using the Group Code 190727APPA. Rooms must be booked by June 27.
Summer Conference Agenda
Saturday, July 27
6 pm – Early Bird Reception on Golf Club Patio
Sunday, July 28
2-4 pm – AHMI Board of Trustees Meeting in McKinley Room
3-5 pm – Meeting Registration in Lobby
6-7 pm – Welcome Reception in Cameo Ballroom
Dinner on your own
Monday, July 29
8:30 am – General Session in the Chesapeake Room
– Scanning For Lumber Grade
– Log Grading Rules Implementation
– Hardwood CLT Tower In VA
12:15 pm – Golf Tournament at The Meadows Course
12:15 pm – Sporting Clays Tournament at The Gun Club
6-7 pm – Monday Reception in Champions Room
Dinner on your own
Tuesday, July 30
9 am – Breakout on Log Grading Rules
1 pm – Tour Hardwood CLT Observatory Tower in Radford, VA
2020 Annual Meeting
Naples Grande Beach Resort – Naples, FL – February 19-23
Appalachian Hardwood Manufacturers, Inc. will hold its 2020 Annual Meeting at the Naples Grande Beach Resort, a luxury beachfront hotel set on 23-acres of beautiful waterfront property. Enjoy fine dining, golf, tennis courts, plus a world-class spa, 3 outdoor pools, and a private beach.
Make your room reservations HERE.
Meeting registration will open soon.